At the Sound Women Festival at the BBC Radio Theatre in central London,
the first lady of Fleet Street gave her top tips for success in your dream job:
- Ironing – don’t get good at it. Sit on your children’s clothes to flatten them.
- Marry the right partner – I have, twice. Someone who will support you.
- Live near work. Children need you, more than they need leafy suburbs. Apply for a council flat.
- Every woman needs her running away money.
- Don’t sweat the small stuff. Don’t fuss over the bed linen. People want to be together and feel well. Have a friendly, open house and sit together. It’s ok to get a ready meal.
- Don’t be judgemental about other women. Your neighbour, who’s never worked a day in her life, might be the person who talks to your father when he visits.
- Worry about salary. It buys you time so you can outsource.
- Be straight forward; be charming; be well read; be yourself.
- Have a very good haircut. When you have children you’ll have no time to blow dry it.
- Women have to work harder.
- You have to network and go to the pub and when you do, do it with gusto.
- Never use the ‘s’ word. Men never say sorry.
- Whilst men are spending all that time thinking about sex, you can be thinking about being clever.